AG Barr: Shooting at Pensacola Navy Base was ‘Act of Terrorism’
FloridaNewsRick Scott

AG Barr: Shooting at Pensacola Navy Base was ‘Act of Terrorism’

745
0
864SHARES

The December shooting carried out by a Saudi aviation student at Naval Air Station Pensacola that killed three American service members was an “act of terrorism,” Attorney General William Barr said Monday.

“This was an act of terrorism,” Barr told reporters following a month long investigation from the Justice Department. “The evidence shows the shooter was motivated by jihadist ideology.”

Mohammad Saeed Alshmarani, a second lieutenant in the Royal Saudi Air Force shot and killed three U.S. navy sailors — Ensign Joshua Kaleb Watson, 23, Airman Mohammed Haitham, 19, and Airman Apprentice Cameron Walters, 21 — and wounded at least eight others at the Naval Air Station Pensacola. Alshamrani was shot and killed by responding deputies from the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office. 

Barr added that Alshamrani posted on social media during last year’s anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, that “the countdown has begun” and later traveled to New York City to visit the 9/11 Memorial on Thanksgiving weekend.

“During the course of the investigation, we learned that the shooter posted a message on social media on Sept. 11 of last year that said: ‘the countdown has begun.’ Over Thanksgiving weekend, he visited the 9/11 Memorial in New York City. He also posted other anti-American, anti-Israeli, and jihadi messages on social media, and did so two hours before his attack at the naval base.”

The U.S. will expel more than a dozen Saudi serviceman training at military institution across the country in the wake of the Justice Department investigation. Barr said that during the course of the investigation “we did learn of derogatory material possessed by 21 Saudi trainees” including 17 individuals who had shared “jihadi or anti-American content” and 15 individuals who had contact with child pornography

“The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia gave complete and total support to our counterterrorism investigation,” Barr said. “The 21 cadets have been disenrolled from their training program and will be returning to Saudi Arabia today.”

Regarding early reporters on other Saudi cadets somehow aiding in the attack were proven to be untrue according to Barr. 

“There is no evidence of assistance or preknowledge of the attack by the Saudis,” Barr said.

Florida Senator Rick Scott called for “a full review of the US military programs to train foreign nationals on American soil” in the wake of the shooting, saying, “we shouldn’t be providing military training to people who wish us harm.”

864SHARES
Tagged:

Javier Manjarres is a nationally renowned award-winning South Florida-based political journalist owns Diverse New Media, Corp. which publishes Floridianpress.com, Judicialpost.com, shark-tank.com, and Hispolitica.com He enjoys traveling, playing soccer, mixed martial arts, weight-lifting, swimming and biking. He ran as a Republican in the 2018 congressional primary race in Florida's CD 22. Javier is also a political consultant, and has also authored "BROWN PEOPLE," which is a book about Hispanic Politics. Learn more at www.brownpeople.org Email him at [email protected]

Trump launches TV attacks against Biden in early primary states (Video)
2020 Electiondemocratic partyFeaturedFloridaFlorida Politics
Biden Leads Democrats in New National Poll
“Biden knows the names of foreign leaders because their names are on the deposit [...]
Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 11.47.16 AM
2020 Electiondonald trumpFeaturedFloridaFlorida PoliticsPresident Donald TrumpTed Yoho
Kat Cammack Announces bid for Yoho’s Seat
She is “running for Congress to continue the hard work of protecting our [...]
image001 (1)
2020 ElectionEmail FeatureEmail FeaturedFeaturedFloridaNational Politics
Trump popular in Florida, Republicans sticking with him
A recent poll conducted by Florida Atlantic University has President Trump on top in [...]